|"Finn & Fionna"|
| Season 4, Episode 1|
|Airdate:||April 2, 2012|
| Written &|
"Trip To The Moon"
Finn & Fionna is the 4th season premiere. It is the first 1-hour special of the series and the theatrical movie. It also marks the first time that real songs were used.
The special opens with a zoom-in on the ruined Earth, with narration provided by Patrick Stewart. The zoom-in stops in the Land of Aaa, where the usual routine is in order: Fionna & Cake are fighting the Ice Queen to rescue Prince Gumball. After a confusing moment, Fionna kills Ice Queen and the three return to the Candy Kingdom. There, Prince Gumball decides to tell Fionna a truth he has kept from her for years...
Meanwhile, in the Land of Ooo, Finn & Jake are fighting the Ice King. But this time it's not to rescue Princess Bubblegum (she's 13 again). It's over what piece Ice King will use in "Monopoly". Finn & Jake leave as Ice King begs them to stay for Game Night. When they return to the Tree Fort, a mystery caller prank calls Finn twice. The third time, Finn yells at who he believes to be the caller, it turns out to be Princess Bubblegum. She asks him over to the Candy Kingdom. When he gets to the castle, PB tells Finn she has been keeping a secret from him for years. She tells Finn about Fionna, just as PG tells Fionna about Finn. They vow to find each other.
As Finn is about to depart, PB tries to stop him, saying that there are rumors that The Lich is back. Finn acknowledges the danger, kisses her goodbye & leaves, as a clearly emotional PB says "I love you, Finn". The farewell is quick & abbreviated overseas. PG bids farewell to Fionna by showing the Vulcan sign & saying "Fionna, live long... and prosper". On that note, Fionna leaves. As their treks begin, Fionna tells Cake that if she finds Finn, she will stay in Ooo forever.
Meanwhile, at The Lich's castle, The Lich is amassing a new army to take over the Candy Kingdom. In a menacing scene, The Lich sings "Be Prepared". Afterwards, The Lich says he screwed up the last note & asks if they can do it again.
Fionna & Cake hail a Magic Flying Cab to get to Ooo, since Fionna's fear of the ocean prevents going by ship. But Cake doesn't have exact change. The driver says "Eh, close enough".
Finn & Jake search all of Ooo. Along the way, they help people in danger, ransack the City of Thieves (and get ultimate revenge on Penny by stealing all her treasure and turn the city against her), slay ogres & even find a suitable cave for Party Pat & his posse of bears.
Soon, news of The Lich's advance reaches the Candy Kingdom. Princess Bubblegum is informed by Peppermint Butler of the news. Princess Bubblegum's orders the total mobilization of the Candy Army.
Soon, the Army mobilizes. As they go out, they sing "Do You Hear The People Sing?". They pass the Graveyard, where Starchy is digging new graves.
Meanwhile, Finn & Jake pay a visit to Ice King. They ask him questions regarding Fionna. Soon enough, Marshall Lee appears at the mention of his name. After scaring Ice King, he chats with Finn about Fionna & reveal's he is Marceline's brother, and that he was prank caller, then apologizes.
Fionna & Cake finally reach Ooo. They are immediately met with a view of The Lich's Army. In the distance, she see's Finn. Her immediate incentive is to run for it. But Cake advises against it. Suddenly, Fionna is tossed into the air by a landmine left over from the Mushroom War towards Finn's location.
Fionna lands near Finn, but out of sight. Both Finn & Fionna get a wierd feeling they have felt before. After a humorous sequence where they just miss each other, they finally come face-to-face. The 2 go into stasis to begin a process called "Memory Sharing". Images of the "Great Mushroom War" are shown. The sequence ends with Finn & Fionna at a loss of words. The 2 introduce themselves to each, then hug, as the scene fades.
As the next scene fades in, The Lich shouts "CHARGE!", as the 2 armies clash. Finn & Fionna hear the battle and rush to the scene. They waste no time joining the battle. The battle seems to be in the Candy Armies control... until The Lich tips the balance. Many Candy Soldiers are killed.
The climactic sword fight begins: Finn & Fionna vs. The Lich! It lasts only 3 minutes, and The Lich is overwhelmed. As The Lich dies, he says he will return, just like he always does. The day is won by the Candy Army!
Finn introduces Fionna to the Tree Fort after the ceremony where PB gives the Medal of Honor to Finn & Fionna. After the tour, Fionna declares she is staying forever! Finn responds by saying that life keeps getting more interesting. With that, Finn & Fionna hug again. Meanwhile Jake gives Cake a cook's tour of the Land of Ooo & introduces her to Marceline. During the end credits, fanart of Finn & Fionna plays while they look up to the night sky & realize their status as a critically endangered species.
After the credits, Billy arrives at the battlefield too late. He isn't in dismay for long, though, as he begins eating the remains of a dead Candy Soldier. Nearby, The Lich's soul heads for his lair, where he inhabits a clone body, then swears revenge against Finn.....
- Opening Theme - Self-Explanatory
- Be Prepared - Jeremy Irons/Jim Cummings
- Do You Hear The People Sing? - Michael Ball
- Finn & Fionna - Serves as sort of a "love song" for Finn & Fionna; also heard throughout Season 4
- Anakin's Betrayal - John Williams & The London Symphony Orchestra (Heard during the "Memory Sharing" sequence)
- Anakin's Dark Deeds - John Williams & The London Symphony Orchestra (Heard during the main battle)
- Battle of the Heroes - John Williams & The London Symphony Orchestra (Heard during the final sword fight)
- The Last Humans- Played during the end credits
- Finn: Jeremy Shada
- Fionna: Ashley Johnson
- Jake: John DiMaggio
- Cake: Roz Ryan
- Princess Bubblegum: Isabella Acres
- Prince Gumball: Neil Patrick Harris
- Marshall Lee: Dante Basco
- Ice King, Starchy, Misc. Voices: Tom Kenny
- Ice Queen: Grey DeLisle
- Peppermint Butler: Steve Little
- Misc. Voices: Frank Welker, Dee Bradley Baker, Pendleton Ward, Maria Bamford
- The Lich: Jeremy Irons/Ian McDiarmid
- The Narrator: Patrick Stewart
- Lead Candy Soldier: Michael Ball
- Candy Soldier #1: Jeff Bennet
- Candy Soldier #2: Jim Cummings
- Skeleton Soldier #1: Rodger Bumpass
- Skeleton Soldier #2: Bill Farmer
- Taxi Driver: Nathan Lane
- This is the first episode to feature the Mushroom War.
- It is confirmed that Fionna is Finn's twin sister (as was the hunch of the fans).
- As of this episode, Ice Queen is officially killed off.
- Patrick Stewart narrates the episode.
- The Lich breaks the Fourth Wall by saying that he waited all through Season 3 to come out of the shadows. He also interacts with the narrator, akin to Dick Dastardly or The Hooded Claw.
- Scenes from movies and TV series featuring nuclear war are in the "Memory Sharing" sequence.
- The two ogres resemble Oscar The Garbage Grouch & Elmo.
- A foghorn sound (the same used for Spongebob Squarepants' alarm clock) is used as a censor beep. In that effect, this is the first episode to use actual swearing. The uncensored version was released on the DVD
- A "Star Trek" reference is made when Prince Gumball bids farewell to Fionna. He makes the Vulcan peace symbol & even says Spock's famous quote "Live long & prosper"..
- Princess Bubblegum is once again 13 after an interrim episode where her feelings get the best of her & she makes a de-aging serum (through complications).
- This episode was voted the best episode of Season 4. It was also voted the best episode of Adventure Time to date.
- The scene where Finn & Fionna hug for the first time was voted the most heartwarming scene in the history of the show. It also made #1 on the Nostalgia Critic's "Top 11 Most Heartwarming Moments".